Pasta Fagioli is a classic Italian warm and hearty #Zuppa. It is the best #homely soup that you could have on a cold wintry Californian night (grazie il mio #pineappleexpress2017 #droughtbuster2017) and the bean/veggies make it so #hearty that you could even skip dinner! My version was #lazycooking #improv since I did not have all the necessary ingredients and fell back on my TJs based pantry to help! So, I decided to experiment a bit but ended up with a real delightful zuppa 🙂
There was no #ditalini pasta and so substituted with the #elbowpasta. I used up the garbanzo beans and red kidney beans (love the organic canned versions in #TJs and always have them handy for my salad etc). Finally, I enhanced the lack of canned whole tomatoes with our own #tomatochunkychutney #ZesteezChutneys #daBestChutneysPeriod. The best part about using the #tomatochunkychutney was the fact that it had aromatic spices and did not have to garnish much at all.
- 3/4-1 Onion – Chopped
- ½ Green Bell pepper – Chopped
- ½ can of Whole tomatoes
- 1 stick of Celery chopped
- 1 stick of carrot cubed
- 1 Zucchini – cubed
- 1/2-1 can Trader Joe’s Garbanzo beans (Quantity really depends on your preference)
- 1/2-1 can Trader Joe’s Red Kidney beans (Quantity really depends on your preference)
- 1 packs Trader Joe’s elbow or ditalini pasta
- 4-6 cups of Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Vegetable Stock
- Water as required to keep the soup from thickening much
- 3/4-1 jar Zesteez Tomato Chunky Chutney
- Salt and Pepper to your taste (I tend to add a lot of pepper)
- Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot. Add oil and onion, carrot and celery. Sauté until onions are slightly transparent. Then add Zucchini and sauté a few more turns
- Add the tomatoes and Zesteez Tomato Chunky Chutney and sauté
- Add the beans, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the pasta al dente or lesser since it cooks further in the pasta. Drain and add the pasta to the soup. Let the pasta cook further to absorb the flavors and juices.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot! Crusty bread would be a wonderful accompaniment. This is crockpot friendly, the same exact recipe can be made in
Godere la zuppa! Ciao