Do you love cabbage? Does sauerkraut or coleslaw come to mind? I have a classic South Indian recipe of cabbage (coupled with lentils) that is crazy good and refreshingly tasty! You can serve this on hot rice or have with breads or use it in an Indo-greek pita pocket ( make sure to add some tzatziki :)) . The options are really endless and up to your imagination So lets get WOKYTAKY with the ground work, shall we:)
- Cabbage- 1 full (thinly sliced)
Ingredients to be coarsely ground:
- Channa Dal – 3/4 cup soaked in water for atleast a couple hours
- Dry red chilis- 2
- Asafoetida– A pinch
- Curry leaves- 5-10 leaves
- Cilantro- 1/4 bunch
- Salt- To taste
Ingredients for Spluttering:
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp Curry leaves – 4 to 5 Oil – 1 tsp for crackling and 3-4 tsps for adding to the roast
- Add oil to a heavy bottomed pan. When hot, add the sliced cabbage, salt to taste and simmer to allow the cabbage to cook al-dente. Set the cooked cabbage aside
- Coarsely grind the ingredients mentioned above, try not to add water
- In a wok (recommended to allow for uniform cooking), heat the oil and put in the mustard. When the mustard crackles, add rest of the (crackling) ingredients and the coarsely ground Channa dal
- Saute the coarsely ground lentil mixture with a bit of oil and stir it, till it is crisp and cooked (the key is to evaporate water content ). Ensure that it doesn’t stick on or burn at the bottom.
- When you are satisfied with the crispness, add the sauted cabbage and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- And voila, you have a cabbage dish that is ready to be eaten either with breads ,rice.
Au revoir and until my next blog, happy cooking!