In my household, we have a customary day for Tacos – Taco Tuesday! Well, for once, we switched to a Taco Sunday and had some friends over. As you may have noticed, being the unabashed ambassador of my products along with the need for new ideas, I frequently experiment using my chutneys. So, here is how Zesteez chutneys (both Tomato and Mango) brought to “life”, the typically mundane corn tortillas and breaded fish sticks from good ‘ol TJ.
For redundancy sake, a taco is a traditional mexican dish that uses corn or wheat tortilla which is folded or rolled and uses great fillings (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco). I stuck to the spirit of a Taco with some variation 🙂
- Tortillas – I use Trader joe’s soft corn tortillas (I prefer the stuff with no chemicals – just stone ground corn, traces of lime and water)
- Purple cabbage – half a head
- Green cabbage – half a head
- Mayonnaise or Vegenaise – 1/2 a jar, depending on the amount of coleslaw
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
Chutneys – Give the tacos some Zest 🙂
Super-grain power mix (optional but you will love it)
- Brown rice/quinoa/freekeh – 1 cup each cooked in a rice cooker
- Spinach – 1 cup
- Oil for saute
- 1/2 a block of extra firm Tofu – Diced (TJ’s organic tofu). Use your choice of proteins
- Organic black beans – 1 can
- Pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Cayenne – 1/2 tsp
- Thinly sliced onions
Rockin’ simple guac
- Avocado – 2- 3
- Equal amounts of diced onions and roma tomates
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
Other garnish for the taco
- Cilantro – to garnish
- Lime – 4 cut in quarts
- Fish/shrimp/chicken – your way.
- For convenience, I used the breaded Fish Sticks from TJs
Super-grain power mix
- Cook the rice/quinoa/ freekeh in a slow cooker and set it aside.
- In a wok heat the oil add the onions, salt/pepper to taste and saute until translucent. Add spinach and saute until soft.
- Add the diced tofu cubes and saute till it is golden brown. Finally add the black beans and let it cook for a few minutes. Add the Tomato Chunky chutney and let the spices/flavors of the #delicious chutney soak-in
- To this mixture start adding the cooked super-gains combo and mix evenly and let it rest (make sure the rice/quinoa combo is not clumpy)
- Slice thinly half a head of purple cabbage and green cabbage
- In a mixing bowl, mix in both cabbage with 4 dollops of Mayo/Veganaise, along with lime juice, salt and pepper. Give it a quick toss, cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve
- Add in the diced onions, tomatoes and avocado chunks. To the mixture add salt, pepper, lime juice.
- Mix them all together gently (I like my guac chunky and not too pasty)
- Garnish with cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use
Your choice of protein (if you prefer fish/shrimp)
- I used breaded Fish Sticks from TJ. Follow package instructions to prep the fish sticks
Assembling the taco
Warm the tacos, each individual tacos can be filled to your liking, I like mine topped with power-rice, coleslaw, breaded fish and more-than-a-drizzle of the yummy Mango Tango Chutney. Slap in some guac on top and start devouring it rightaway. (Optional) Squeeze some fresh lime and garnished with cilantro and see below – da yummiest taco!
These tacos were incredible hits with kids and grown-ups alike! I hope you get to try them with our yummy Chutneys as well!
Disfrutar de sus tacos con nuestros chutneys (muchos gracias GOOG xlate) 🙂