Who does not remember the feeling of a warm, hearty soup on a cold-winter day or the feeling of having something to eat when you are tired, but hate to cook/take-out the same ol’ boring food. During one of the recent rainy days in SoCal which is a rarity (May-June), it was beautiful to see nature @ her best and left me craving for new ideas. The foodie in me was tempted to make something hearty and rich in flavors/bold in taste. The outcome was almost a full meal but light enough to be called “supper”!
This lentil-dill soup is easy, healthy and overall, a delish combo with bread (I was thinking a sourdough bowl would have been handy and yummilicious). Infusing the chutney, cuts the prep time and adds a flavorful twist.
- Use a lentil mix for soup from stores like Cost Plus (Bistro Style Lentil Soup Mix)
- Separately add ingredients like ( Pink lentils (massoor dal) – 1/2 cup, Yellow lentils(Toor dal) – 1/2 cup,
- Dill – 1 cup chopped
- Onion – 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- Carrots – 1/2 cup diced
- Tomato – 1 full, diced
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – to garnish
- Lime – To garnish
- Zesteez’ Tomato Chunky Chutney – about 1 1/2 jars to 2
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- While the lentils are one of the best sources of proteins, I have come across recipes using smoked sausages to garnish the soup. You can use your imagination to experiment and improvise this recipe.
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp; Cayenne – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 or 6
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Cook the lentils combo in the crockpot on LOW for ~2 hours (if using dried/soaked beans, they have to cook for 6-8 hrs)
- Separately, heat oil in a non-stick pan; crackle mustard and add/saute the veggies
- To this add turmeric and asafoetida (and optional spices)
- Add the Tomato Chunky Chutney to the sauted veggies and give it a quick stir
- Add the entire mixture to the crockpot mid-way (while the lentils are semi-cooked). Complete the cooking process in the crockpot
- Add garnish items/salt to taste and optional proteins
- Serve warm with bread/pita and enjoy your light supper!!
Stay tuned for more recipes with Zesteez!!